The City of Quincy notified Quincy University that a temporary outage of water services would be put in place for certain campus housing. The water outage is in effect today, February 9th, from 8 AM until 4 PM, and a boil order will follow immediately. The buildings affected by the water outage are campus houses on 18th street only, Wood Hall, Helein Hall, and Garner Hall. The boil order will last anywhere from 24 to 48 hours, and precautions must be taken before consuming tap water.
The Office of Student Engagement offered the following precautions:
- Boil water vigorously for three minutes prior to use for cooking or drinking.
- Disinfect food contact surfaces (dishes, cooking utensils, pants, etc.) by immersing them for at least one minute in clean tap water that contains one teaspoon of unscented household bleach per gallon of water.
- Dispose of ice cubes and remake with water that has been boiled.
- Continue boiling all water that is to be used for cooking or drinking until posted time or notified that the boil order has been lifted.
- Water used for bathing does not need to be boiled.
Bottled water will also be available for students in Garner and Helein halls.